Monday 25 May 2009

WHIRLWIND WEEK ONE

What's happenin?

I'm just now getting this thing rolling, so here we go. I guess we'll just start from the beginning. Upon arrival to the B'ham Shuttlesworth Int'l Airport I was told that my flight to ATL was cancelled. Bad start, eh? So, I took a yellow cab cross state with ol' Mr. Hightower, relative of U of A linebacker Daunte Hightower. It turned out to be a nice experience, for he educated me further on an era which he personally lived through and I am fascinated with - the Civil Rights Movement. When I finally arrived at ATL International with only 30 minutes to spare I found myself last in the line of nearly 100 other international travelers. There was no hope. I ended up staying in the doubletree hotel for the night, which actually serves some of the best dang hot wings on the planet.

I awoke the next morning just ready to get to London, so I arrived at the airport about 6 hours early - the first at the gate. Upon takeoff, I realized flying alone is much easier than flying with others (for those with anxiety). There is no one to cling to, therefore your body internally deals with the situation itself. It was actually a very pleasant experience. I finally arrived in the UK around 7:00 AM and caught a cab to my new home - a very trendy/modern student living highrise in the King's Cross district (central London). The people here are really cool, and the night security guards are definitely my boyz. I met up with JT, my roommate and good friend, later Monday evening after quite a long nap. It was really nice to see a familiar face.

This past week has been one dedicated to orientation, although it has mainly involved us meeting friends and wandering/getting lost in the city, then finding our way back again. That seems to be the best method sometimes. We have seen all the tourist attractions by now - Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Piccadilly/Oxford Circus, the Strand, the British Museum, the Museum of Natural History, etc.... I am working at the Courtauld institute of Art, wich is located across from the London Eye, on the Strand. It is a breathtaking place, and is considered London's most beloved 17th century structure.

The Courtauld (or Somerset House) was originally a Naval base and barracks. It's vast courtyard was probably used for military drilling, i would guess. It sits on the bank of the Thames River, which provided an adequate port for soldiers to come and go from. Google the place and you can get a sense of where I'm coming from, but barely. It houses some of the most famous paintings and scupltures in the history of 14th - 19th century European Art - Van Gogh, Gaugin, Cezanne, Manet... the list goes on and on. It is highly guarded by dudes in black suits. They all swarm at once when any alarm sounds, usually meaning someone has stepped a little too close to one of the prized treasures. While I am more interested in History alone, rather than Art History, I am confident it will be a nice learning experience and wonderful resume builder. Just standing in the colossal structure is a direct, emotionally moving connection with history itself.

Well, that's about it. I am making new friends, but obviously are thinking of old ones. I'm sure after 6 weeks I'll be ready to return to my love, pup, and family. Peace out, for now...

3 comments:

  1. YEA! Finally the Blog rolls in!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you been to St Paul's Cathedral or the museum of modern art yet? they're right across the river from each other connected by a cool bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan!! I miss you! sounds like london is your kind of town! Hope your first day on the job goes well!

    ReplyDelete