Wednesday 10 June 2009

Top 10 List

Top 10 things I despise in London...

1) Sidewalks. Many are old, obviously, and were pieced together with dissimilar stones. Some sit higher, others lower. When it rains you can count on a minefield of puddles.

2) The rain. Need I say more?

3) Terrible teeth. Everywhere. Come on people, it doesn't hurt to floss once a "fortnight."

4) Lack of decent service (and/or common manners).

5) TV. I have yet to crack a smile at these shows they call comedy. I desperately need some American sarcasm in my life, as well as the History channel.

6) Free newspaper distributors. They are on every bloody corner and are so cheery for some odd reason, similar to the guys in Las Vegas who hand out mass quantities of strip club advertisements.

7) Pointy shoes. Everywhere I look it's like bad scene from the Wizard of Oz. Instead of being dead underneath a house, the Wicked Witch and her curled toes are everywhere. The funny part is that most are on dudes.

8) The food. I know everyone says it's bad here, but that's not necessarily the case. It's the rediculously high cost for a freakin lump of noodles that really chaps my ass.

9) Fox hunting. What they call a 'past time' I call sad. Not for the poor foxes, necessarily, but for their lack of diversity in the realm of awesome animals.


10) Fashion. Here's the best way to describe it, as well as experience it for yourself. Step 1 - Turn of all the lights. Step 2 - Walk into the closet. Step 3 - Get dressed in the dark. Step 4 - Go about your day.


Top 10 things I love in London...

1) Cultural Diversity. Never before have I experienced such a melting pot of human beings. Just sit on a bench in a crowded place and count the various languages being spoken around you. It's a beautiful thing.

2) Sunny days. The entire town awakens from some sort of dreary slumber and comes alive. Parks are packed with people and full of sport.


3) Movie theatres. The screens are massive and some interiors resemble the Alabama Theatre in downtown Birmingham, just larger. The experience is worth the extra £.

4) Irish people. One gave me his old TV for free.

5) History. Up, down, left, right. It's everywhere.

6) Open air food markets. Their atmospheres are vibrant and you have access to so many new tastes from around the globe. The people there are the nicest you'll find, plus you can have a field day with a camera.

7) The Tube. I really enjoy riding the subway. Everyone else seems pissed off though.

8) British flicks. A London native who lives on my floor has lent a few over and I can't get enough. They are gritty and have the craziest plots.

9) A change of scenery.

10) My cool boss, Anthea. She's been here since the Stone Age.

1 comment:

  1. Awe I LOVED the free newspaper distributors! And those papers were fun to read on the Tube. You look like a local.

    How about these for hates - crossing the street (a death wish), having to pay for a lounge chair at the park, and of course the nudy stickers inside the legendary red phone booths.

    Have you done a walking tour yet? We loved that.

    ReplyDelete